NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

My heart strings...

casper

Have been pulled today.

I called in my local pet store to get some bits for the birds and talk to Bertie the too who has been there for months and there was a little CAG sat in a small cage next to Bertie.

All his front is completely plucked and he was so scared and nervous:(

After talking to him for a bit I asked the staff about him, his owners have gone and emigrated to New Zealand and sold him to the store before they left. I asked about the plucking and they said that when the ex owners travelled for a couple of weeks they left the grey ( called Tully) with their teenagers who pushed him up against a radiator for two weeks and that is what they came back to.

They dont know much else about him except that he is about 7 years old.

The pet store are asking a ridiculous price of £650.00! This is just for the grey!

Im telling you my brain is working overtime since I got home, the thought of Tully shivering away in that pet store after leaving his owners is really bothering me.

I know I cant take in every grey that needs a home but there is something about this little one, he needs some tlc and a loving caring home.

I wish I didnt love these birds so much..........

That's awful - poor little thing - the pet shop doesn't seem too bothered about him either and just seems to want to make a quick fortune. I'm like you - I wouldn't be able to stop thinking about him either - in fact, I haven't even seen him and have this awful picture in my mind.

If you rescued this one, there'd only be another one later on........! Why couldn't the owners have just paid for his transfer to NZ and quarantine? I'm worried about leaving Harvey for two weeks, never mind for ever!

If Bertie has been there months tho - it's hard to think how long poor Tully will be there.

I know how you feel Caroline but you can't help every grey you see in need of a good home, I know you would provide a good one but you would have your hands full with this one. Poor thing, how people can treat these precious animals this way but hopefully Tully will get a good home soon.

casper wrote:

Im telling you my brain is working overtime since I got home, the thought of Tully shivering away in that pet store after leaving his owners is really bothering me.

I wish I didnt love these birds so much..........

But we all do love these Greys Caroline. Only you know if you have the resources, space, time and love to give this poor Grey a loving home.

That's a very tough heartbreaking picture to deal with and decision to make. I wish you well in this.

Caroline, take a deep breath and see where Tully would fit into your home. How it would be for your three boys and would everyone benefit from the addition of Tully. Only you can decide. It is always harder to say no than yes but you must see the whole picture before you decide what is best for everyone. Take the time to analyze it all before you decide.

{Feel-good-00020114}There is this one little guy at the petstore that I see whenever I visit. He tends to pull at my heartstrings too. This lady put a deposit on him when he was merely 6 weeks old. He was hatched in October 2008. He seems so wise before his time. One week before he was weaned she changed her mind. He seems like the nicest little guy but just a bit nervous. A part of me would like to bring him home but I also recognize that there will always be some other parrontless "african grey" who will tug at my heart. I can't rescue them all and I certainly don't want to put myself in a position where I am giving less of "ME to the parrots that I already have at home. They came first and they deserve the best that I can offer. There are only 24 hours in a day and I don't have an unlimited amount of cash in my bank account. Being a parrront is so rewarding but it is also ALOT of work. The cages don't clean themselves, the food doesn't get prepared on its own and the parrots do NOT stay tame without regular and frequent interaction.

On days that I am not feeling well it is even harder to juggle giving them everything that they deserve and need. You seem to have a very kind heart, but please think about the feathered babies that you already have at home and give extra to them.

Post edited by: lovethatgrey, at: 2009/07/08 02:24<br><br>Post edited by: lovethatgrey, at: 2009/07/08 03:18

Unfortunately, due to New Zealand's incredibly stringent policies, importation of live birds is prohibited.

I had a look a few months ago about the importation of animals into NZ, as my sister lives in Sweden and was thinking of coming back home.

I also learnt that hamsters are illegal to own in New Zealand, and if you accidentally release an exotic bird into the wild, you have to notify the Department of Conservation, who will pull out all stops to try and catch the bird. Not so long ago a man got prosecuted for releasing two lorikeets.

Apparently lots of exotic birds pose a threat to rare and unique species only found in New Zealand, predator wise and food supply wise.

As for me, if I were to move to another country and I could not take my birds or dog with me, I simply would not go. I made a commitment to the animals for their natural life span, and that is something I will honour, before my own needs and wants.