NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

grey and macaw in same cage

shazbaby36

i have a very large cage which is divide in the middle which one side as my 2 greys in and i have been told by my breeder it be ok to put my new baby macaw the other side they can see each other thought the glass but wont beable to get to each other will this be ok i have brought a filter with a hepa on it because of the dust i am just sorting everythink out before i pick my new baby macaw up

Hey shazbaby, is the cage divided with bars or glass?? As long as they can't touch each other through the divider I would think that would be ok (just my opinion, I'm no expert.) But if it is bars that divide it then they would be able to get each others toes and I don't think that would be a pretty scene. Hopefully others with chime in and give their opinion. Good luck, I bet you are sooo excited to bring home your baby!

A macaw and a grey have to be kept separated for 2 reasons

1--the most important is a macaw's nasal passages. They are extremely sensitive to grey's and cockatoo's dander. There's been many cases of macaws getting sick because of inhaling dander.

2--although both may get along, both still playfully bite and a macaw's playful bite is 3 x stronger and can seriously injure a grey and because the birds are relatively young, they will play with toys and also beak each other.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/07/06 23:33

I'm sure it will be fine I would put the air cleaner close tthe middle divider so incan catch as much dander as possible before getting to the Macaw side some macaws can be extra sensitive to it in which case you will have to get another cage and put it somewhere other than where your grey's are you can try the divider for now and see how it goes. I have a Severe Macaw and I keep him in a separate room from my Greys he's in the same room with my indian ringneck all the birds can see each other but I dokeep them apart because of the dander.<br><br>Post edited by: Tycos_mom, at: 2009/07/07 00:09

I'm gonna agree with Dave and say separated is the way to go for not only allergies (very serious problem for any multi-bird homes that have any powder birds i.e. greys, tiels and toos and have new world species as well) and for size issues.

Also I have read that greys living in close proximity to large noisy species may feel added stress because they interpret the other species constant calling and loudness (common traits in New World species like macaws, conures, amazons etc.) as signs of alarm or danger.

Also regardless of whether or not your greys and macaw learn to like each other it is important for everyone to have their own cage (obviously if the greys are living together this doesn't apply to them) to help with the introduction process. I could forsee your greys being upset that this newcomer has 'taken over' their space. Imagine if you will that someone had moved into the other side of your bedroom, even if they were behind plexiglass and couldn't get to you it wouldn't get things off on the right foot and you'd certainly feel very invaded. Separated in separate cages is my vote.