NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Toys

Joolesgreyuk

I was wondering how much other greys play with their toys because Beau rarely plays with his even when I change them around.

It is a constant source of concern to me that whenever I get home (even if I've only been out for an hour or so) Beau is always sat on the bottom of his cage looking bored. As soon as I'm in the house and moving around doing stuff he livens-up a little but although I only work part-time he just doesn't seem able to occupy himself when I'm away. BTW, I always leave the radio on when I'm out.

Reading another post on here, I would like to add that Beau is also a quiet bird and makes very little noise.

Charlie loves a music jukebox toy and does not leave it alone.I am forever replacing the music module that is inside it,he plays them out.He does pay with other toys but not as much.He would rather shread a book up.Cracker is always playing and never still.I leavethe radio on when I am out.

The minute Harvey gets put into his cage he is a maniac! He has several toys, but his favourite is his coconut with a shreddy bit in the middle. I too leave the radio on (radio 1 is his current choice!!) but when I come back there's always bits of wood, bamboo etc in the bottom of his cage.

Harvey plays with his toys on his stand too (loves the acrylic and wood type hangy toys) - but he's not one of these birds that likes interaction with blocks and me on the floor or table - just flies off, totally uninterested! Perhaps Beau is just resting when you're out?

When you have Beau out of the cage does he play with foot toys or anything? Have you tried a foraging toy? Ecko plays with his toys a lot. His favorite is definitely the foraging toys, he has 2 of them, one that I fill with food and another that is filled with foot toys. The one that has foot toys in it was one of those wicker balls and he went crazy for it, he tore that toy to pieces, now I have to go find another one lol. Sometimes I watch him in his cage and he will go from one toy to the next until he has touched all of the toys in there and then will go perch and preen himself. Maybe Beau plays with them when your not there?

Thanks caitb, yes Beau loves foraging but I run out of things to give him to rip apart lol. I just wish I could get him to play with the "normal" toys. I'm going to get him something Sheila suggested and maybe a couple other things he can destroy lol! Thanks for your ideas.

Jscko is similar in that he doesn't make alot of noise voluntarily. I dunno if this could be used as an in-cage toy but one of Jacko's favourites is incredibly easy to make. Get 1 large chew-proof bowl (but short enough on the sides that your grey can lean over and stick his head in) and 1 to 3 large marbles (or beads) of your choice (big enough that they don't fit in your grey's beak. Put the marbles in the bowl and show it to Beau. Jacko had a blast for a really long time lol, just sat there with his head in the bowl rolling them around :laugh:.

Both of ours love their toys and when we come home the cage looks like a tornado has gone though it. We had to try lots of toys though to find their favourite.

They like the ones with things hidden in paper.They are big on foraging so we have all the foraging toys. Another favourite is strings of leather with small beads attached.

The ones they like the most are the everyday ones that I make. I wrap things (food, nuts, bottle top, dried fruit etc) in paper, paper towel or a coffee filter and hide them in the cage. They are like little parcels and I also hang them from string so that they have to figure out how to pull the string up to get to it.

Both of them get into the cage and are like demons racing around the cage to hunt out everything.

Thank you so much everyone for all your suggestions. I have taken your advice and just spent £60 on foraging toys and the music toy Sheila suggested - now I'm broke :laugh: but if Beau is happy so am I. I'm sending kama to those of you with advice I found useful. Thanks again.