NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

How can I help them?

Tycos_mom

Iam really a little worried about my 2 Grey's and my Amazon its 110to 120 degree I live in a double wide trailor so it longer than it is wider. I have 2 small window airconditioners which keeps the whole house cool except for the room at the fartest end of the house which happens to be the room 3 of my birds are in and boy is it hot I could put one of the air conditioners in that room but the window it would fit in is right beside Tyco's cage and would blow cold air at her. Theres no where else to move her cage. when I'm home I can spray them down a couple times a day. but when I have to work is what I'm worried about. I have a fan going and the windows open and I put Ice in their water before I go. Is that enough do you think is there anything else I can do for them.

I would try my darndest to move their cages to a cooler part of your home when you are at work. Overheating is very very bad for our parrots and all pets. Can someone watch your parrots when you aren't home so they don't have to stay in their cages?

I guess another thing you can try doing before you go to work is make sure they ALL get a soaking wet shower.

Post edited by: lovethatgrey, at: 2009/07/05 01:31<br><br>Post edited by: lovethatgrey, at: 2009/07/05 01:32

Pat - You can do a couple of things to get that room cooler.

1 - Make sure that Bedroom is shaded on the outside, either with an awning, tree or one of those roll up roll down sun shades.

2 - Most window AC units pull air in from the outside and blow it into your house which pressurizes it to some extent. Keep all windows in the house closed, except the one in the birds room, crack that window open about an inch which will create a draft coming through that room and get cool air in there.

3 - If none of the above options work, you really should consider moving your birds to a cooler room.<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2009/07/05 15:27

The room has 2 window both have screens so I do leave them open wide I drop the window shades on the bay window half way and there is a large Magnolia tree that shades that window the other window faces NE so there is no sun at all there. and like I said I keep a fan running in there also to curculate the air and also a air cleaner running which also blows air. I work from 4pm to 11pm 3 days a week but when I leave thats when it seems to be the hottest because the baywindow faces SW so the sun is coming through that window full strength until the sun goes down which is around 9 pm If I can put an air conditioner in that window how far away would it have to be from Tycos cage if I put in on a low setting would 8 ft be enough so she wouldn't get sick

How about putting the air conditioner in her room, placing her cage as far away as possible and then place a fan in the same room to circulate the cooler air. Also keep in mind that a direct draft is not healthy for them. If the sun beats down on that room .. I would keep the blinds down also.

Poor parrots.:(<br><br>Post edited by: lovethatgrey, at: 2009/07/06 00:43

I think I figured out a way to keep the room cool. If I move one of the air conditioners to the kitchen window then the cool air from the kitchen should keep that room nice and cool also because the kitchen is next to that room Im just going to have to find a way to make it fit into that window.