NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Plucking tail feathers.

Pchela

I'm about to be fostering a Meyers parrot who chronically plucks her tail feathers out. She is 12 and has been doing this since she was about 5 years old. The previous owner took her to several vets and tried numerous treatments including diet changes and aloe vera juice. So, does anybody have any expert advice? This will be my first time dealing with a plucker and I'd love to help her get over this. She always has scabs on her bottom poor thing.

It sounds like a very established problem and will prove very hard to cure.

The first thing I advise is take the bird to your own avian vet and have a full check up done.

What sort of environment is she in at the moment? Her owners have cared enough to get her vet treatment so I am guessing she is well cared for and on a good diet.I know very little about Mayers,but think the reasons for plucking will be the same.I am wondering if she now has some sort of skin infection that will need treating.Ony guessing but your vet can tell you a lot more.

Sheila gave many GreYt suggestions.

Poor baby, it sounds like a lot of work in trying to treat this issue has been done. The only thing I can think of that isn't listed. Would be, is the Meyers Parrot flighted?

Flight seems to help many behavioural issues go away over time. :-)

But, with this deeply ingrained over many years, it will be very hard to stop.

Karma to you for taking this Meyers Parrot in!!<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2009/07/04 15:23

Pchela, I recently re-homed a plucking Eclectus that was in a very noisy and stressful situation. He was always nervous and squawking at the pet store. My avian vet said he is physically fine. I have provided him with a quieter and calmer place to live with his cage in a corner. He has now stopped plucking and shaking all the time. He loves to sit on my computer screen and watch me type. I believe he is at least 10 years old. If your vet says this new parrot is physically fine I would look around and think about what in his present situation might be causing his anxiety or stress. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice everybody.

Here is a little history... the bird has been extremely well taken care of. Her owner is giving her up because he is older and ill and making arrangements for his fids now. He's afraid that he'll die and the birds will be stuck in the house with his body and no care. He spoiled his birds and had them on excellent diets including Harrisons pellets. He took the Meyers to vets continuously over the past 6 years to try to solve the problem. The birds were in a calm environment and had lots of toys and out of cage time. I'm afraid it's a habit at this point but I thought somebody here might have had luck with some home remedy or something.

She was flighted until recently. I don't know why they trimmed her wings! But I plan on letting them grow back out. I've also heard of people putting maple syrup on the area they pluck. Has anybody heard of this? Seems like it would be messy and uncomfortable for the bird. Maybe bitter apple?

What's the maple syrup supposed to do?

PS----bitter apple isn't used on an animal. It's an item that's put on things a person doesn't want the bird to bite such as furnitiure and such and it doesn't work anyway.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/07/06 01:23

Thanks for the info Dave! No bitter apple then. I guess the maple syrup is supposed to keep them from messing with the area but I don't see how. Maple syrup is tasty and I'm sure birds think so too.

LOL Dave. Sounds like the syrup will make the problem worse... she'll want to chew on those delicious tail feathers all day!

So, I brought her home today and she was put into an Elizabethan collar before I brought her home. Does anybody have experience with these? She hates it with a passion and I hate to make her wear it... are they really helpful or just torture for the poor bird? (especially since it's her first day in a new house)

Oh! And also, her poor rear end is one big scab at this point. Does anybody have recommendations for easing that? Can I use vitamin E on her or vasoline or even neosporin? I've read that the cream neosporin is okay but no petroleum based products which rules out vasoline. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!<br><br>Post edited by: Pchela, at: 2009/07/07 03:14

Okay, the little sweetheart is home with me now. In fact, she's just bled on my shirt. I put an elizabethan collar on her but it looks so uncomfortable! Does anybody know of any alternatives? I've heard of foam collars as well. Any experience with this? And if so, how to make them?

""""vasoline or even neosporin""""---------NO. Any type of very thick creams will only clog any area that they're used on.

If your bird has been doing this consistantly for 7 yrs, sadly I really don't think he's gonna stop. There's loads of bords that exist that pick one stop and work on it until it's a natural thing to do. Very much like a person who's a nail biter. Your best bet is to periodically soothe the area with light aloe gel which immediately is absorbed and causes no clogs.

That collar you spoke about isn't used for birds who pluck their tail feathers. It's used for birds that pluck breast, neck and upper back areas. If you have that collar on and he tries to get to his tail, he's gonna hurt himself, possibly causing cuts in the neck. Foam collars will be bitten and destroyed very quickly. If you see a scab or irritation, that spot need to be treated with a soothing gel. Most chronic pluckers will stay that way especially after doing it for years. Take that collar off because if it's left on long enough and removed, your bird will mutilate that tail area much more so than just plucking at the area. That collar doesn't cure plucking, it only temporqrily prevents plucking. Some birds will only pluck their necks. Some birds will only pluck their breast. Some birds will only pluck under their flight feathers but if it's chronic, it's simply a habit in which a bird is releasing pent up nervousness or just relieving itself.

Thanks Dave. I called the vet earlier and they said to leave the collar on which I don't want to do because she hates it. She has mutilated her tail end... I imagine the stress of the move to a new home is causing her mutilation to be worse. She crawled up on my arm and I noticed several large drops of blood on my arm. Her tail is just one big scab at this point. I've been using aloe vera gel and aloe vera juice. This is my first time with a feather plucker/mutilator. We've got an appointment with the vet next week and I'm hoping he doesn't just stick a collar on her.

I am not a fan of collars on birds,most just cant accept them.I know some vets do prescribe drugs in extreme cases,I am also a bit two sided on this approach.I hope all goes well at the vets.Please keep us up to date.

Well, she has a huge open wound on her bottom so I don't know how else to stop her from messing with it but with a collar. I tried to make her a comfortable foam one... I hope it works out. What other choice do I have if she's going to keep making herself bleed? Couldn't she bleed to death eventually? I really hate the collar and feel horribly guilty.

The only thing that I can think of is to provide her with lots of attention and distraction. From what I understand, collars do not solve the root cause of the plucking or mutilation it only helps to prevent access to the damaged areas so the wounds have a chance to heal. I think that as soon as she's allowed out of the collar I would give her showers and baths.. of course not before consulting the avian vet first. In the meantime.... I would make sure that she has all kinds of fresh foods that contain vitamin c, a, b. These will help her to fight infection and speed healing. Also include foods that include essential fatty acids such as almonds and palm oil to help soothe her skin. I feel so sad when I think of birds who have reached these types of points. I applaud you for taking her in. You have a big kind heart.

Please do not put any type of cream, grease, or syrup on her.<br><br>Post edited by: lovethatgrey, at: 2009/07/12 02:38

Thank you lovethatgrey!

All we've put on her is aloe gel and aloe juice. She's on Harrisons pellets already and lots of fresh fruits and veggies and nuts... some seed too. I'm going to add red palm oil as well and see if that helps. I hope the vet can help! I know that lots of times plucking can't really be stopped.

I dont think you do have much choice other than a coller at the moment if she has a large open wound.I really hope the vet has some ideas for you, fingers crossed.Dont feel too bad about the coller,she must be kept from harming herself more, at least till the vet advises.I think infection is the issue to avoid.<br><br>Post edited by: she, at: 2009/07/12 08:10

Thanks she. I feel so bad for her and I feel like I'm torturing her but I tried to take the collar off yesterday (out of guilt) and she immediately started picking at the wound. *sigh* Poor little thing. I wish the vet could have gotten us in earlier but maybe this week will pass quickly!