NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Body Language of the African Grey

DayosMom

I am interested in reading the sounds, and body talk of the African Grey. I have discovered they have a body language all their own.

For Example: A slight growl means he is uncomfortable with what I'm doing. A purring sound means he is happy and wanting to be pet, scratched, etc. When his head is stretched out to the limit, he is going to bite me. YIKES! (it would have been my fault)

I've learned NOT to approach him from the top. This is a threat he perceives. He will bite, without any thought to what my intentions are.

One can also read the mood of the Grey by the body posture. My husband picked up one of the Grey's last week, and it growled the whole time he was holding it. When he put the baby down, it went as far away as comfortable from my husband. The baby obviously was not in the mood to be held that day. He stayed away the entire time we were there.

The babies are also increasingly inquisitive as they get older. When they see a piece of jewelry on one of us, they stretch their neck way out as far as they can to get a better view. (this neck stretching is in the forward position, entirely different from the erect head and neck I spoke of earlier just before a bite)

Then there is the very funny "jackhammer" reflex they have when they think they will be fed. We have had a couple go to town on our pinky fingers. LOL

Keep in mind we are dealing with babies here. Our experience is limited to babies. We would be VERY interested in hearing any info about the adult bird you may have noticed with your bird, and any noticed body language.

This is a wonderful post DayosMom.... It should get lots of replies..

Pinning of the eyes are also another sign you could pick up.. It varies from bird to bird as to what this means.. When my Yellow Naped Amazon did this you ran away from him as he was just ready to attack.. When ceasar does this he loves whatever you are doing.. feeding him.... saying to him...

It's amazing how different these two parrots are..

You know I have heard of grey's growling but so far mine has not. She well scream very loud and flap around if something she don't like it around and when she is happy or wants attention she well bob like my quakers do with all her feathers fluffed up.

She well also grind her beak when she is content.<br><br>Post edited by: Tari, at: 2007/07/05 23:41

Guest Monique

One thing I have noticed with our greys when they become adults is that they learn to mask their emotion and the body language cannot be counted on as an indicator of their attitude. This very much amazes me that they know to do this. I am sure some are tired of this story from me :) but our old Grey Kinsasha (RIP) would say come here sweetie in a very loving voice to people she did not like and if you were innocent enough to not know better and get close enough for you to bite her - she would!! She told my dad she wanted to kiss him and cut his lip. Me ... well ... I was quicker than she was the time she tried it on me!!!!

Guest briansmum

dont forget the most famous grey body langue.. the "scratch" position. head down, sometimes almost doubled under their body and alll their neckfeathers fluffed. it is a very vunderable position for them as they can't strike as quick, so chances are if they are offering you their neck they have no intention of biting you anyway :P

The scratch position..........yes, I have seen this. Very good thought here. They are vunerable in this place. I'll keep that in mind.

The cunningness of Monique's Kinsasha is interesting. I did not know this trait of the Grey. Thank you for bringing this thought to the forum Monique. This is one I will file in my in my information center. Right next to the change in the eyes.

This is proving to be a very informational thread. I hope others will share their own unique experiences with their Grey.

Thank you.<br><br>Post edited by: DayosMom, at: 2007/07/06 02:28

Guest briansmum

bear in mind that although there are "text book" body language traits in greys, as monique has proved they are cunning little things and you can't ever take anything as 100% dead cert. while it is an excellent place to start when asessing the actions of you bird, remember every grey is different. what means one thing for one persons grey may mean something completely differet for another. :)

Body fluff, tail shake, wing strech usually = happy :P

Flat feathers, tall neck usually = scared

Fluffy on one foot usually = content

Head down, eyes up usually = sucker scratch, may bite

Head down, eyes down usually = sincere scratch request<br><br>Post edited by: dblhelix, at: 2007/07/06 04:37

Guest briansmum

yep i too can relate to all those, sounds about right. again though i haven't experienced the sucker one. brian does a LOT of fluffing, tail waggin and wing stretching. i must be doing something right :laugh:

Guest Lidia

If a bird is cold or ill it will generally fluff up. It won't specifically shiver unless it is suffering from hypothermia.

However, they also fluff up for other reasons: to be babyish, to be threatening, to be defensive. You have to get to know your bird's individual behaviour. It's a long learning process and it won't all come to you at once. Even after 18 years with Joshua, I still learn a lot every day, especially in this forum (thanks, guys).

Lidia said: "You have to get to know your bird's individual behaviour. It's a long learning process and it won't all come to you at once."

This is absolutely true. Each one of us has a unique, and precious Grey. No two are the same. There is no textbook rule of thumb in this area. That is why I encourage your individual experiences and observations.

What one may perceive as questionable behavior in their Grey, after reading all of your exceptional observations of your own bird, they will soon realize the affection behavior pattern of the African Grey. And how to read their sweet language.

The love for our Grey has to come from the inside out! Only then will they respond in an array of different displays.

dblhelix, do you have a name I can call you? I find your tag name difficult to remember. I'm always going back and forth to get it. (I'm experiencing more and more senior moments these days) Thank you. :blush:

Senior moments, now that is something I can relate to.

You can read a lot into the emotions of a grey by observing the body stances and watching the eyes, the eyes say a lot. After a while you start to read what the bird is saying by paying attention to what that is saying.

Yes, exactly. This is perfect information.

"After a while you start to read what the bird is saying by paying attention to what that is saying."

This is the advantage of seeing the whole Grey, not just what one may perceive as threatening behavior. Excellent observation, Judy.

• 3 months later...

OK so if other merlin fluffs only his jowls i wonder what that means.

i know this is OT but i have to mention it. when he lifts his wings up i say "ooohhhh handsome wings" so when he wants to hear me tell him he is handsome he will lift up his wings.

now he will lift his wings and say HIMSELF "ooohhh"

and he has only been home for a week or two! beauty and brains is right!