NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

cats, dogs, chickens, birds, tv and african grey?

Guest lazer7

Guest lazer7

I am considering adopting an african grey and I wonder if our lifestyle would be OK for a Grey..

Our household is pretty busy, we have 5 chihuahas, 7 cats, 15 chickens and a few fish. Some of the chickens are bantam pets roaming freely in and out the house. some others are in the coop area.

Cats are from 6 months old to 17 years old,

Chihuahas are from 3 years to 6 years

Chihuahas protect chickens and love to licks cats.

Some cats like this love and sleep with dogs, some others are less friendly and the dogs feel it and bark at them.

Cats understand that chicks are not for them and leave them in peace. They just sniff them, but do not chase them.

Then, we have many back yard birds feeding here, some very familiar like the

Cactus Wren who steps in the house to pick on the cat bowl or clean the spider webs around the living room (not many webs unfortunately).

The great night owl is growling on the palm tree nearby and the hawk sometines perch here. When it happens all doves and house finches scare away.

It is Arizona Desert. Hot weather, cold winter nights and occasional lizards in the house. the place is also a kind of botanical garden with a huge variety of indoor/outdoor plants and vegetables all over the place.

No chemical bug control in over 6 years, so in some occurences, we see strange bugs, salamanders and geckos, hopefully not too many in the house.

We also introduced many beneficial bugs species.

I have read a lot about African greys however I wonder how one would love the ectic love of a chihuaha or the noisy love of the bantam rooster or the licky love of our favourite 16 years old Chartreux male cat.

Vesna is home full time, sharing her time between animals and garden. I am home at night but kind of busy with a very demanding job.

What do you advise? is a Grey social enough to handle this environment and share love and attention with all the little guys out there? He would have love and attention but should share it with all. I would be present in the early morning but at night, he would be probably set in his sleep room when

I come back.

All right, not a good idea. I will wait a dozen of years and see if the environement is quiet enough then.

P.S. Bantams are miniature chickens

Guest phishsticks

Yup, Betabitch it is then hehe.You feeling cheerful? Are you all healthy now? Don't forget to eat bran flakes every morning to keep yer bowelses open . Us bitches can't afford to get all constipulated and crabby yer know :0)

Guest BobNewbie

Homophobia is not the FEAR of homosexuals. Try a dictionary (that's the big paper thing your teacher thwacks you over the head with regularly).

Guest phishsticks

I know what bantams are, I breed them :-)

Honestly, a grey is really not the right pet for your home at the moment.

Regardless of how sweet your cats and dogs and the like are, they are a threat to your bird, especially if they lick it as saliva from a cat can kill a bird.

I had a distressed call last month from someone I knew slightly. She had had a timneh for 10 + years, it was always out of the cage, her little pappillon and bichon frise dogs had lived happily with it. She went out to hang some washing on the line, came back after 5 minutes to discover her dogs had mauled the bird so badly that it had internal injuries, broken bones and was in shock. Under vet' advice it was pts. She cried down the phone to me asking why they had done it and that the dogs and bird had lived happily together for 10 years and this had never happened before. My reply was that sadly it only needed to happen the once. I have dogs, cats, parrots, but however well behaved they all are, I would *never* leave my birds loose in a room with any of them. I guess I am too experienced an animal keeper to do that.

Now do I , when I leave the house for an hour or two, leave all the dogs together. I split them up into smaller groups who I know will get on. Shut

10 dogs together and however they get on usually, if someone is grumpy or picks a fight, the others will join in and kill it.Even nice natured, well behaved animals are still........animals.

Guest mykisum

I had a pet Bantam rooster. He was very tame. He came when called and would ride on my shoulder like a parrot. I didn't have him in the house, but he was always seemingly happy to see me when I went out to the barn ( OK, maybe it was just breakfast he was happy to see). At any rate, I found him to be a very enjoyable and easily kept pet.

Guest BobNewbie

You said I had a fear of homosexuals. So, where did you get this information from if it wasn't the word homophobic you may have seen in a post from or about me somewhere?

Guest BobNewbie

I'm not even going to attempt to work out who wrote what in that mess. Set the post out more clearly or I can't be bothered.

• 2 years later...
Guest Monique

If you are considering adding a grey, research the chickens first. We were considering adding some chickens for eggs (we live on 3 acres in the country) some years ago. In our research we decided not to due to certain parasites or bacteria (cannot remember which) that lived on the chickens and could be harmful to the Greys. We did end up getting a few ducks instead, which did not have that same issue.

Also, it is not safe for the Grey to be around cats due to bacteria problems.

If you're real serious about it you will probably need to change your lifestyle a bit for it to be safe and harmonious. I would get several books and do a lot of research. Most of even the basic books and research info will explain these things.

Guest Monique

If you are considering adding a grey, research the chickens first. We were considering adding some chickens for eggs (we live on 3 acres in the country) some years ago. In our research we decided not to due to certain parasites or bacteria (cannot remember which) that lived on the chickens and could be harmful to the Greys. We did end up getting a few ducks instead, which did not have that same issue.

Also, it is not safe for the Grey to be around cats due to bacteria problems.

If you're real serious about it you will probably need to change your lifestyle a bit for it to be safe and harmonious. I would get several books and do a lot of research. Most of even the basic books and research info will explain these things.