NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

NEED HELP for Me and Hemingway

nevjoe

Guest Lidia

Nev,

He's very young and what you're describing sounds quite extreme. I think you should take him to an avian vet immediately, really, don't delay.

You might have to feed him baby food for a little while longer, he doesn't sounds as though he is responding to adult food very well. I would suggest you only feed him soft food until you get his weight stabilised.

Birds can lose up to one third of their body weight in one day, so you need to respond quickly.

I am sure other people here who have hand-raised their birds can tell you more.

Keep in touch.

NevadaJoe,

Im no experienced expert as others here.

But I do know that a Baby CAG should be exponentially gaining weight on a constant basis.

A 20 gram drop is not good.

I am not certain how much of the Baby formula you should be giving him (which should increase as he grows), but I am sure others here do. Maybe your not providing enough of the baby Food?

I would take him to a vet though as Lidia suggested just to be safe.<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2007/07/05 23:57

Glad to hear all is well. Another note, when they fledge (this often starts around 8 weeks) they instinctively DROP weight and reduce feedings in preparation for the very important time when they learn to fly. This is totally normal. B)<br><br>Post edited by: dblhelix, at: 2007/07/06 06:03

Guest Lidia

Nevjoe,

Great news, glad to hear all is well with the little squirt.

dblhelix wrote:

Another note, when they fledge (this often starts around 8 weeks) they instinctively DROP weight and reduce feedings in preparation for the very important time when they learn to fly. This is totally normal.

Wow, I did not know that, thank you! It makes sense though. Great post.<br><br>Post edited by: Lidia, at: 2007/07/06 12:29

Guest briansmum

excellent news, so glad to hear it. now you can get back to having fun with him instead of worrying.