NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

What inspired you bird's name?

Richardsmommy

I hear the name "Charley" so many times given to parots. My mother even named her CAG "Charley". Any ideas why that name is so popular?

Anyway, I named Richard after my father. If it'd turned out that Richard was a girl, I would have kept the name, anyway since he's learned to articulate it so well and sys it all the time.

So, why did you name your bird what you named him/her?

Guest Lidia

I named Joshua Joshua because I like serious names for intelligent animals. Having said that, my best pal's mother used to always think that Joshua was "Jupiter". And had I thought of that as a name 18 years ago, I would have named him Jupiter.

I'm like silly names that you wont hear a lot. Que is a personality in the Star Trek Next Generation shows. And that guy was to smart for his own good and got bored easy. So thought it would fit a grey and be silly and you don't hear it a lot for a pet name. However I had to change the spelling people on the Quaker forums kept thinking I was talking about a quaker. Many use a Q for short.

Guest Lidia

I like the name "Q, but I think it's spelt "Q", as in "The Q", not Que, but either way it's a lovely name and I'm just nit-picking.

Our Timneh's name is R.J. Timbit, the Enchanter. Timbit for short.

First, you have to know that we are big hockey fans—big Buffalo Sabres fans. So the R.J. is short for Rick Jeanneret, legendary play-by-play announcer who's been with the Sabres since 1971. Jeanneret is known for his boisterous calls, puns on players names, and really making a home viewer (or listener) feel the excitement of the game. Since we watch every single Sabres game, there's a good chance Timbit will pick up on some of Jenneret's more frequent calls. And we will be proud, proud bird parents the day Timbit yells, "He scoooooooooooooores! Top shelf where momma hides the cookies!"

The "Timbit" is partially a hockey fan thing, partially a coffee-lover thing, and partially a play on the word "Timneh." Tim Hortons is a chain of coffee shops started by former hockey player Tim Horton. At Tim Horton's, they sell donut holes called Timbits. Timneh. Timbit. How cute is that? We just couldn't resist.

Also a play off the word "Timneh," is the name Tim. But every time we think of the name Tim, we can't help but think of Tim the Enchanter in Monty Python and the Holy Grail. You know, the guy who tells the Crusaders all about the rabbit—the one with the sharp, pointy teeth.

And so there you have it. R.J. Timbit, the Enchanter. Timbit for short.

We wanted a name for our Grey that would embrace the entire spectrum of having a Grey. Both for the bird, and for us. We also wanted an African name, since we have been reading about the Grey's in their natural habitat. Third, I have always wanted to go to Africa, it's SUCH a beautiful country in some places. So to keep with all of the above, we started looking for African names. Then, after we started our search, that wasn't enough. We also needed to know the meaning of the name. So we put together a list, with the dialect it originated from. So came the name "DAYO."

Below you will see part of the list Dan made. Interesting to me, the two names that I liked were from Yoruba dialect.

Adisa - Yoruba - meaning one who is clear

Kamau - Kenya - Meaning quite warrior

Mudiwa - Shona - meaning Beloved

Baako - Akan - Meaning born first

Dayo - Yoruba - meaning joy arrives

Dumisa - Zulu - meaning causes thunder

Gugu - Zulu - meaning treasure

Deka - Sumoli - one who pleases<br><br>Post edited by: DayosMom, at: 2007/07/05 22:58

Guest Lidia

Tari wrote:

Yes I know I pointed that out in the bottom part of the post. lol

I'm a nerd, no two ways about it! I think this is the sort of thing that is probably one of my most annoying character traits.:blush:

Guest Monique

Isaac was named after Sir Isaac Newton because all Greys are so smart I wanted his name to reflect that. He's really turned out to be more of a Newt or Newton than an "Isaac" but that's what I get for picking his name before he comes home!!! He's a little love bug, very sweet, mild, laid back, etc. It will be interesting to see how he matures.

Guest briansmum

i had the same view point as lidia, serious name for an intelligent animal, they are like children and i couldn't imagine naming a child "fluffy" or "buttons", so for me it was a toss up between Zach, a name i REALLY love and Brian, my grandfathers name.. who i REALLY love. you see my dilemma. so for the first day we tried out Brian because for sentimental reasons i wanted to like that one more. but i didn't, brian just wasn't a name i was fond of, it just meant a lot. so we tried Zach.. but uh oh too late. Because we called him Brian the first day it had kind of stuck and it was like he had come with that name and that was what it was supposed to be. so here he is, my little brian.. and you know what, im darn glad he is. now even when my grandad has gone i will always have my little feathered treasure to remind me of him.

beekeebear- i have seen your videos of baby timbit on youtube.. he's GORGEOUS!!

tari- i love the animation in your signiture, very cute

HEY! DON'T KNOCK THE NAME 'FLUFFY'! That's what we named our turtle. :)

I've named all our pets and they were all animaly type names like Butterscotch, Hickory (named after where we got him), Patches, etc. I'd always liked the idea of naming a pet with a human name, and since I'm not going to have any more children, my bird got my dad's name.<br><br>Post edited by: Richardsmommy, at: 2007/07/06 01:33

Guest briansmum

aww sorry :) i didnt mean to sound like i was putting down those names, they're lovely pet names. it just wasn't the kind of name wanted for my grey.

i love the name richard, it sounds very regal and sophisticated, quite an acomplishment for you grey to say it so well.

I have named my greys Jiggy and Quinn. Jiggy is after Jean Sebastian Geguere, the goalie for The Anaheim Ducks hockey team and Quinn was named after the former manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs Hockey team, Pat Quinn. I have a cockatiel named Domi after a former hockey player for the toronto Maple Leafs Tie Domi. I have a bit of a hockey theme going here with my flock and await a female blue crowned conure which I will name Miika after Miika Kiprosoff, another goalie. I have 3 other blue crowns named Rickey and Lucy and Tyson. I have 2 double yellow headed amazons age 27, named Tommy after Tom Selleck and BJ after the Toronto Blue Jays baseball team, both popular when they were babies.

Guest briansmum

hhmmm... are you a hockey fan? i have no idea what would have put that idea in my head ;)

they are all nice names :)

Kip is short for Kipusa, a Swahili word for "pretty girl". Swahili is one of the native languages spoken in parts of the Congo where our greys are originally from. Her nickname is "Ruby" for the red tail and we use that from time to time just to confuse her! :P<br><br>Post edited by: dblhelix, at: 2007/07/06 04:06

Beekeebear, welcome here :) (it rhymes as well :laugh: ) I am glad you joined our forum.

That's a pretty impressive name you've named your bird!

=========

In the Netherlands there are 'standard names' (which you call out if you don't know the bird's name) - for canaries it's Piet (pronounce Pete) - and people go like "petepetepetepeeeeeeeeeet" :silly: and for parakeets it's Lorre B)

Obviously not many birds are called like that anymore but this is a thing of the past when those names were VERY, very 'in'.

My 1st bird got the name Pinkie because he is one silly bird. Named after a cartoon mouse from the old Animaniacs show from the 90's. Birdy #2 got the name April because she had been DNA sexed as a female. She was also very sweet and affectionate.

My Grey had several names line up: Blue(arent they Red if anything?!lol), Seth(a little bit too evil..), Edward/Eddy/Ed(but then he'd be Ed the talking hor.. bird?) and lastly Dex/Dexter. I like the name Dex, I may still use that for bird #4... :whistle: lol, someday.

I settled on Mirek because it was simple and easy to pronounce for the bird. I got it from a friend who also owns a Grey. His Grey's name is Cherry. Upon telling some friends at the bird store about Cherry they misunderstood me somehow and thought I had named my Grey Mirek so they started calling him that without me knowing. I arrived for my next visit and they said "I'll go get Mirek for ya, 1 sec.." when he was brought over that time, I looked at him and said, I guess your names Mirek, it's official!

FairY wrote:

In the Netherlands there are 'standard names' (which you call out if you don't know the bird's name) - for canaries it's Piet (pronounce Pete) - and people go like "petepetepetepeeeeeeeeeet" :silly: and for parakeets it's Lorre B)

Obviously not many birds are called like that anymore but this is a thing of the past when those names were VERY, very 'in'.

Oh...like "here, Kitty, kitty, kitty"? I call Richard a Shoulder Rat sometimes. Yesterday he said, "come here, you Shoulder Rat!" LOL!

hveusnthbrige wrote:

My 1st bird got the name Pinkie because he is one silly bird. Named after a cartoon mouse from the old Animaniacs show from the 90's.

"Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?"

"Yes, Brain! Paper plates ARE too flimsy to wash!"

"No Pinky. I'm thinking Tomorrow were going to TAKE OVER the WORLD!"