NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

OK , how many have both?

Rox565

I know this question has been asked many times but I am new. I have read about the differences between the CAG and the TAG's. How many have both and wich one do you tend to like more, and why. Books can only tell you so much, people that have birds at home can tell you so much more. Trying to decide what bird to get. Details,details, please. I want to learn all I can. Thanks!:cheer:

Guest briansmum

i don't think any of us have both. it would be interesting to hear though if there's anyone lurking out there.

Guest Lidia

I think it's mainly a size and price thing, but I could be wrong. I had a TAG before I had Joshua. He died when he was about six months old, it was devastating (nothing to do with his being a TAG). They are just as intelligent and loving as CAGs, but are smaller and their colouring is slightly different and they don't cost as much.

Hi Lidia,

Your TAG died when he was 6 months old, that would be a terrible experience. :ohmy:

Was there an unknown birth defect not know about?

God, I can't imagine losing a Bird so young, even if it was 10 years old, I would be devastated!

For a home and if you are gonna let your Grey fly I think a TAG is a nice choice.. The lower body weight (by a lot sometimes) allows them to fly like you can't believe.. Ask Talon about this as she has a TAG that flys like a champion.. Her bird is 200 grams lighter then Ceasar is.. That 200 grams makes some difference when it comes to flying around the house..

Guest Lidia

danmcq wrote:

God, I can't imagine losing a Bird so young, even if it was 10 years old, I would be devastated!

I WAS devastated. I cried for a week and I got Joshua far too soon after Isaac's death and immediately regretted it and then felt guilty for regretting it AND for replacing Isaac. It was rotten. I still have an ache in my heart for little Isaac and when I see photographs of him it brings me to tears and always makes me sad.

He had a gastroentestinal bug that just wiped him out. I think that if that happened now (to Joshua) I could cope with getting him better, but at the time I knew so little, and of course that added to the guilt after he died.

In the end, he had to be euthanised, he was so bad and I had let it go on for longer than I should have, thinking he could recover. The vet kept telling me he wouldn't, but I just couldn't accept it. So when the vet came to my home to euthanise him, two days later than he wanted to, Isaac's poor body was so thin that the needle hurt him and so one of his last experiences was that pain. I am almost crying now just thinking about it. He died in my hands, he was looking into my eyes right up until the moment he died and his eyes just went dead. I will never forget him, he was such a beautiful and intelligent and kind creature and I will never really forgive myself for his death.

One of the reasons he was so susceptible to the gastroenteritis was that he was an imported bird, rather than one who was bred in-country. The vet said that his system was weakened before he even got the illness.

ps. I have a photograph of him with a cigarette in his mouth standing beside a half-empty gin bottle. I must scan it in (it's nearly 18 years old) and post it here. And no, he didn't smoke or drink.<br><br>Post edited by: Lidia, at: 2007/07/05 14:29

Oh my, how sad. I am sorry I had you bring the details back to memory. :(

But, for those of us that are, or soon to be new Baby owners, how could we detect this?

When we take our Baby to the vet right after getting it, will they be able to detect problems like this if they are in the very early stages?

Thanks<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2007/07/05 14:42

Guest Lidia

danmcq wrote:

When we take our Baby to the vet right after getting it, will they be able to detect problems like this if they are in the very early stages?

I don't know. I suspect that in order to find out that the bird had a virus or bacterial infection, blood tests would have to be done. I don't think a general check-up would catch it. It's a risk.

Joshua has been healthy since day one apart from a very minor dose of gastroenteritis about ten years ago.

I do remember Isaac from time to time, don't be sorry. I'm glad to remember him.

I'm so sorry Lidia, about losing Isaac but it is good to remember him even if it was a short life, CD goes thru the same thing with Hercules. Know that we feel for you and share your pain. Please post that photo of him so we can see what a beauty you had.

Sometimes there is nothing else you can do but know I am crying myself right now for you and everyone else is too when they read your story, thank you for sharing your pain, sometimes it helps to spread it around for us to share with you. Love your Joshua now and looking forward to seeing that pic of Isaac.

I miss my Hercules (Boxer) I just had to put him down last Friday. I know all about the guilt thing. Am I doing the right thing,can I help him in any way, and again did I do the right thing? Over and over we think about this. The vet and my best friend keep telling me that it was the best thing for him, but doing the rite thing is so HARD. I will miss him for a long time. A responsible pet owner always has to think about our pets and not just think about ourselves. Back to the main subjuct "Does any one have both" or has had one then the other,what is your pref.thanks Roxanne

I'm sorry to hear what you went through, Lydia. I've lost so many parakeets that my husband decided it would be better to get one for me that would live longer. I don't handle the losses very well.

I have a pomeranian who's life span is 13 years and he's there right now. He's very healthy for his age, but I keep bracing myself and watching for the slightest ailment.

As for the CAG vs TAG, I had a choice to get one or the other. I was told that the CAG was smarter and lived longer, but the TAG was more affectionate and bonded to more than one person (the CAG was a one-human bird, from what I was told).

I paid extra for the CAG, and don't regret it for a minute. They were wrong about one thing (at least)...Richard is VERY affectionate.