NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

New Baby Grey..

Zazu

Hello,

I am new to the forums and I just got my baby grey yesterday. I picked it up from a woman who seemed to care for it a lot who also had a few other birds that she cared for. The Baby Grey is about 6 1/2 weeks old. I am hand feeding the parrot about 4 times a day, about 35 mls of exact hand feeding formula. I know each AGC is different from one another, but I have been comparing mine with others I see on the forums and other websites. Sadly, I see a few things that begin to worry me as an owner. First of all, the baby grey makes a loud noise constantly when ever I enter the room or begin to play with it. If I leave it alone, after about 5 minutes, it becomes quite. The second I look at it, it raises his head and begins to make the noise again. When ever I interact with the bird, it will sit there and make the noise.

Another thing, he does have feathers grown in, but not all around it's neck and behind it's neck. I am hoping it is because it's young and they will grow in within the next few weeks. When I feed it, I see this thin layer of skin began to bubble up on the right side of it's back neck and the inside is visible. It really scares me because it feels as if the bird's outer layer was torn open. Or maybe I lost my mind and it's feathers just haven't grown yet, which I hope.

I am going to take it to the Vet tomorrow and hopefully I can figure out what's going on. Any helps/suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thanks Everyone.

Hiya Zazu,

First of all welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new baby grey.

Could you post a picture of your new baby so we can see the bubble on the back of the neck?

If you are in any doubt about your baby, please go to the vet and get him checked out.

Below is a link showing the difference in weeks as your baby grey develops.

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/the-nursery/72900-the-journey-from-an-egg-in-pictures.html

There is a picture of a baby about six weeks old, does your babies feathers look similiar to this? As you can see at this age not all the feathers have grown in.

Please get back to us after your vet visit,there are plenty of posts in the nursery room which may help with your new baby. Please keep us posted.<br><br>Post edited by: casper, at: 2009/06/24 21:18

Hi Zazu, welcome to the forum! Congrats on your new baby grey. What have you named him/her? Are you going to DNA him/her?

You have to give you baby time to adjust to its new home. He is probably making that noise because he is scared and doesn't know you yet. Did you ask the breeder if he did this to them?

I wouldn't worry about the feathers. Greys are usually fully feathered around 8-10 weeks(every grey is different) so if yours is only 6 1/2 weeks, it has plenty of more feathers to grow in.

About the bubble you are talking about, I'm pretty sure you are talking about the crop. When you feed your baby its crop gets full and sometimes it gets so full you can see a bubble in the back of its neck and see through it like you are talking about. You have to make sure to be careful when you hold your baby when it has a full crop because it is very delicate.

Anyways, I wish you the best of luck with your new baby, they are such a joy. I got my baby at 8 weeks and it is so much fun watching him grow and learn, he is 20 weeks now so its just begining. Do you have any pictures of your baby to share? We love pictures. :side:<br><br>Post edited by: caitb2007, at: 2009/06/24 16:05

Welcome Zazu and congratulations on your new baby Grey!!

The others have given good advice and comments regarding your baby grey sounding very normal for only 6.5 weeks old.

These little chicks will make noise when they see their parront come in, just as they would for their Grey mother or father. They are either wanting more food or just the comfort of having them close by for warmth. At your Greys age, it should be kept in a brooder or enclosed tank of some type that is heated to atleast 90 degrees to keep them warm., Their body temperature is 106.

You have taken on quite a task in handfeeding a baby chick.

Looking forward to hearing an update and seeing some photos when you get a chance. :-)

Hi and welcome! I just weaned my baby from 4 weeks old, he is about 4 months now...Is the noise he is making like a high pitched peep..or like grumbly? Greys actually GROWL when they are afraid...I know I didnt know that...My baby did it the first like week I had him...Like If I came into the room to fast or something. And yeah, It can be REALLY loud...Or if it just the PEEP sound, he just wants more food or attention.

Everyone has given you great advice! I know they all helped me a TON when I brought my baby home...I was a very paranoid mommy hahaha...I had handfed a Quaker parrot before, but not a Grey and it is a totally differant ball game!

But yeah That is like the last place they will get there feathers and the bubble is probably like CaitB said just the crop being full...It scared me too when I saw it on my baby, haha

Always ask lots of questions, NO one here minds...Everyone is full of lots of expieriance and knowledge when it comes to these GREYT parrots :)

Keep us updated and dont forget to post pictures!!!!! And what is his/her name?

I just finished hand feeding my baby from 5 weeks old also she's about 4 1/2 months old now when the crop is full its like a bubble that should feel firm and nicely rounded. There is a thread in the nursury about hand feeding its very helpful to new owners. have you ever hand fed a bird before if not please be very careful its can be dangerous for the bird if you don't know what your doing.

Wow,

You guys reply so quickly!! Thanks! After reading your replies, I feel so much more confident about my Grey. My main concern was about the the bubble on the back of it's neck. I assumed it was the crop that was visible, but I didn't expect to see it from the top. It just got me paranoid. I feel so much more relieved now that everything seems to be more normal than before.

As for the noises it makes.. when I went to go pick the Grey up, it did make the noises when I came near it. I assumed it was normal behavior from a baby Grey, because it was feeding time. I did hear the growl that you were talking about JungleDreamz. I heard it a few times and the Grey made it when I woke it up by accident or if I came too close to it quickly. I assume that was normal. But, the other noise that it makes is much more high pitched. I sounds similar to a hawk, but not exactly. And it makes two loud noises, pauses, two loud noises, pauses, etc. I figure it wants something, but I have no idea what. It does realize I am about to feed it because when I bring the syringe close to it's home, it will get up and try it's best to run to me, which is really cute. Even after I finish feeding the baby Grey, it still continues to make those noises.

I feel like I am doing something wrong somewhere. Am I not feeding it enough? I am now feeding it 4 times a day with approximately 35-40 mls at a time. Should I change to 5 times a day? Or stay the same?

As for the DNA and name.. I am not too big on wanting to know if it's a male or female just yet. I just want to make sure it grows up healthy for now. I want to name is Zazu so I think I am going to stick with that for now.

About the pictures, I will try my best to put some up within the next few days.

I am going to go to the vet in a little bit, I will definitely keep you guys updated! Thanks again for all the help so fast! : )

Yes this is a very active forum with tons of members that are willing to help. We enjoy meeting new greys and their owners and we enjoy giving our opinions. Zazu is a very cute name for your baby. Good luck at the vet and let us know how it goes. Can't wait to see some pictures. ;)<br><br>Post edited by: caitb2007, at: 2009/06/24 19:55

I got a few pictures! The quality maybe bad because I took them from my cellphone. Hopefully I uploaded them correctly!

IMG_0354.jpg

IMG_0353-1.jpg

IMG_0360.jpg

IMG_0359.jpg

IMG_0356.jpg

Post edited by: Zazu, at: 2009/06/24 20:47<br><br>Post edited by: Talon, at: 2009/06/30 22:39

Oh Yeah that is defanitly just his crop....Your probably feeding him just the right amount...You dont want to feed too much at one time or it could cause crop stretch and then they can get a bacterial infection from that.

He looks good to me! Make sure to clean the formula off him the best you can because it also grows bacteria and can infect your baby. I would also take a Q tip and wet it with warm water and even wipe out the inside of his beak gently.

And like Tycos_Mom said, That hand feeding thread is reaalllyyy great!

Have you ever handfed? It is really an awesome experiance and wish you the best on your journey bringing up your little one! And if you have anymore questions dont be shy! Here is a pic of my baby at 6 weeks

010.jpg

005-2.jpg

Post edited by: Talon, at: 2009/06/30 22:37<br><br>Post edited by: Talon, at: 2009/06/30 22:40

Awesome to hear that it is only his crop!! Man does that take so much pressure off of me!! :D

As for the noises, I read some of your replies and one of you spoke about the temperature I am keeping him in. I believe that's what his problem was! Zazu is so much quieter now that the environment he is in much warmer. I am beginning to get so excited about raising Zazu!

I do need to clean him up a bit, there are some food marks on Zazu from the lady that I got it from. Thanks for your help JungleDreamz along with everyone else!

Zazu is doing great! His feathers are growing in very fast and it is so exciting to see him grow! One thing that surprised me is that his tail feathers are starting to grow longer and I realized my African Grey is a Timneh. I didn't know if it was a Congo or a Timneh, I failed to ask that question when I got him. I was hoping to see those bright red tail feathers grow in but I guess not... I could also tell by the color of his beak, which isn't pure black. It didn't catch my attention though.. I am kinda bummed about it but I have him for a week now and I love him.. So I have to accept it.

Is there a big difference between Timneh's and Congo's? Besides the tail feather being a maroon color and the being a little bit smaller as well as lighter.

Thats great that Zazu is doing so well. Aww so you have a little Timneh, I love the pics of him. There really isn't a big difference between the Congo and Timneh except for the size and the beak and tail colors. They also mature faster than Congos.