NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Missing Parrot?

Something has been bugging me since yesterday. I was driving towards my home and this beautiful green & yellow bird swooped down close to a garden and landed on a wheely bin - it was dustbin day lol, perhaps looking for food. I only saw the back of it as it was landing and the wings were partially folded. It looked nothing like any British bird I'd ever seen before and it was approx. CAG size, I couldn't help wondering if it was someone's missing parrot. How I wish I had stopped but it probably would have flown away anyhow.

Would anyone have any idea what kind of parrot it might be? Is anyone missing a colourful bird in the UK?

I've been out in my garden a lot looking around because it was close to here but I haven't seen anythng, I will keep on the look out and maybe take a look around where I saw it. I won't stop looking for it.

We are close to woodland here and at first I thought it was a woodpecker as they are green but it was too yellow - no way was it a British bird.

Okok, panic over (and I do feel a little foolish :blush: ) I saw the very same bird again today, this time a few doors away from my house, on the ground foraging and it WAS a woodpecker. I didn't know this but they have a yellow back, and a red head which of course I didn't see the other day as it was just landing and had it's back to me, all I saw was a whole lot of green & yellow and I guess being a parrot person thought it looked so much like one.

A happy ending. Just glad I didn't call a vet :blush: :blush: :blush:

Wow sounds like a really beautiful bird. Next time take a picture!

There is a feral community of indian ringneck parrots in my neighborhood - about 12 of them. It's fun to hear them calling to each other. You can hear them from 5 blocks away... Whenever they come around they scare the crap out of the pigeons LOL with their presence. (Not that they do anything to them.) I like to watch them fly by overhead. I've tried to leave food for them but they won't come near my apartment balcony...

Since we got Harvey (and now I'm more aware of escaped birdies) I'm always driving along, looking at the top of lamp posts for "missing" birds. I've convinced myself that every wood pigeon and every seagull is a missing bird and scrutinize them closely to ensure they're not someone's missing baby! I'd have been the same Jooles - but a woodpecker - wow!!