NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

New Here

paullywalnuts

I would never have a bird shipped to me that I have not at least seen and played with. Guess Im not a trusting sort of person. I would worry the bird would not be sweet even if the breeder had a good rep the bird may get here and not like me at all.

JMO And I am sure others think very different then me.

Guest Lidia

I wouldn't ever have considered buying a bird sight unseen. It's very risky and there are absolutely no guarantees. things can go wrong, even with healthy birds.

I am so glad the bird Talon got worked out perfect. And I know some people that ship and have had birds shipped. I put off getting a blue quaker for years cause I didn't want to ship but many people do and have had great success with it.

Guest Monique

Hi Joe!! Welcome to our forum. I hope that you find your dream bird and look forward to your stories!!

UpAtSix.com has LOTS of bird ads - every day. They also have their share of scammers so you must be careful!!

Generally for a baby bird you are going to spend around $1000 if you have them flown to you for the bird and flight, and then the cage would be on top of that. You also need to budget around $300 for toys, perches, etc. And then an initial vet visit (which where I live would be around $50 but there is quite a variety of prices dependent upon your vet).

nevjoe wrote:

You have come to the right place if you want the best advice from the best and kindest people. I hope to be involed for many years to come with this great forume.

Lots of luck.

nevjoe or just Joe

Thank you Joe.. It is a special place.. and the only reason it is has to be with the people who come here. You are so correct when you say, Kindest People.. That's how I feel... :P

CD

You guys are right. It was scary picking up a bird at the airport, that I hadn't seen or played with person. I had daily communication, with updates, and had received several pictures of her interacting with the breeder. I also had checked references, and talked to customers that had purchased a bird from this breeder. So although it was a huge risk, I felt confident that all would go well. :) :)

I found a bird store/breeder guy that was literally 3miles away ( I saw a sign). I went there, and there was a lot of macaws, cockatoo's, and yes, Greys. I asked if he had any babies because the ones in cages were 3yrs +. He had 5 in the back, and i saw them, and they were all sold. I asked him the price, and he watned $1200 for the babies. It was a little steep, and he would not guarantee the life, for example like 3 days after you take it home. I checked online, and found a in home breeder about 30miles away. He seemed enthuasastic about birds, saying how younger ones will bond with you more. They are 9weeks old, and he said they are almost weaned, and sometimes rejecting food (is that a problem?). He said they eat solid food. He wanted $750, which seems like a good deal, but more important he seemed like he wasnt in it for the money. He mentioned all the things i picked up reading on the forums. So i want to go see them on sunday, and hopefully see how it compares to the store that wanted $1200.

What do you guys and gals think, can i handle a 9 week old? I only work 4 days sometimes 5, 9am-4pm. Will i have enough time to feed it and check on it?

Joe, like I said, Talon was almost 9 weeks when we got her. She was fully weaned, and ate on her own just fine. She did need a lot of attention by way of comfort, being in a new home with strangers was scary for her I'm sure. It took about 2 weeks for her to really settle in.

Do you have some time when you are more apt to be home, say maybe a long weekend or something for the first few days... although if you are able to spend time with your baby beforehand with many visits, that will make a huge difference, I'm sure!

It sounds like the home breeder is the way to go. Good luck, and keep us informed. :)

With the price of what he is asking, I am pretty sure they will be sold by 2 weeks. As far as them rejecting food is that a problem? He said he has 6 to choose from, is there anyway to determine which is better ie, more feathers/smooth feathers/hyperness/avoid biters? If i decide to buy it the same day or maybe after, do i need a big cage? Or if I bring it home for the first day its okay in a smaller cage lets say 2x2x3?

Joe, They will go faster at that price, versus $1000. I think which ever one you like the best, and feel the most connection with, is the one for you. I think you could get away with that small of a cage for a short time, but it's best to get a bigger one before too long. Changes are sometimes hard for some greys, so I wouldn't wait too long, especially if it will be in it all day.

As long as it is eating now, rejecting food shouldn't be an issue, just use the same food it is used to right now. You can change later if that's what you decide to do. It might slow down it's food intake the first few days, while it adjusts, but shouldn't stop eating completely, if it does, see a vet asap.

Best of luck, and keep us up to date!!:) :)

Talon is right, you can get away with the smaller cage to start with, then a larger cage, you can use the smaller cage later as a sleep cage.

Sounds like the second breeder is the one to go with, not just for the lower price but he seems to be more knowledgeable and caring of his birds.

This is my opinion, but you do what you think is right, whatever that is we are here to help you all we can.